1. We're looking for active, experienced players to help contribute and grow this site.

If your interested send NeoCHI a conversation.
    Dismiss Notice
  2. Chat has been implemented. Scroll down to join the fun!
    Dismiss Notice

Frozen Zones

Discussion in 'Locations & Zombies' started by Khala, Aug 17, 2019.

1. Khala

Khala Member

Level:
    Server:
    IGN:
    Khala
    What kind of firepower is best to bring to the frozen zones?
    I've got fur boots, fur pants, fur jacket, and a touque, because Canada, Eh?
    Also how many iron pickaxes?

2. Xena

Xena Well-Known Member

Level:
    Server:
    IGN:
    Xena
    All this info is very old it’s been a long time since I’ve been there. Since you have them it’s fine but for the future all you need are the jackets and pants in fur, you can use tactical hat and boots. I never took that many weapons, maybe 2 guns and a couple good melee. You don’t really want to fight up there it’s not worth it. Most of the copper are around the outside and can be collected easy enough you’ll just have to worry about AI and some wolves. I’d take 8 or 10 picks. One tip, if you have nothing from the zone except copper in your inventory, take some carrots or bandages and split them up to fill your inventory and hit auto for just a second and it’ll show you the way to the nearest copper or if it says no resources to collect then you know you have all copper from the zone.

Spectre and OR-4 like this.
  3. Wandlewall

Wandlewall Well-Known Member

Level:
    Server:
    IGN:
    Wandlewall
    Good advice that’s still relevant!

If you’re lucky enough to have maxed the copper mining skill it makes the trip slightly easier!

4. Corax

Corax Active Member

My usual load out is as follows:
    SBM: for sneak attacking numb zombies then switch to katana to finish them off and they do not even get to hit back if you do it properly
    Katana: sneak one shots spitters that have 100hp in frozen zones just like bunker and finishing off numb zombies after SBM sneak attack even if they get a shot off that heals them one katana shot kills them.
    Firearm: your choice for the rare times you need to engage frost giants

The idea is to focus on copper ore exclusively and stay only long enough to collect then move between yellow and red copper zones mining ore. Avoid going out of your way for chests. The less time you spend on the ground the better as it minimizes chances of TBO showing up and also minimizes how quickly you get stinky. Last you really do not want to be getting into fights making fur armour is quite expensive and if you are careful you can make 3-4 trips with the same set of armour

Rondel likes this.
  5. Cannes76

Cannes76 Active Member

Level:
    Server:
    IGN:
    Cannes77 97
    Best to not go there at all, unless you have nothing sensible to do and want to look for husky puppies.
    If you need copper, you should be going to bunker alfa and go to raids to collect batteries for your recycler.

6. Xena

Xena Well-Known Member

Level:
    Server:
    IGN:
    Xena
    That’s honestly a matter of opinion (one which I share) but many like to farm copper. I have a clan mate that’s farmed Siberia for longer than I’ve played, he spends every weekend up there and made a 7x7 steel room mostly from the copper up there.

7. Cannes76

Cannes76 Active Member

Level:
    Server:
    IGN:
    Cannes77 97
    [QUOTE="Xena, post: 66717, member: 4969"I have a clan mate that’s farmed Siberia for longer than I’ve played, he spends every weekend up there and made a 7x7 steel room mostly from the copper up there.[/QUOTE]
    You are making my point for me with this story. Had he spent that time elsewhere in the game, he would have most of his base encased in steel. On top of having all extremely rare mods in the game.

8. Corax

Corax Active Member

My recycler is maxed and I am not recycling enough copper from watches/batteries or steel from wheels to be making enough steel plates.

Also limiting your copper/steel intake to just the recycler limits your ability to be using it for anything else like carbon or blueprints from firearms.

Thus frozen zones are a valid way to get copper. Specially if you streamline your copper mining process, it costs you very little resource wise to mine copper if you do it efficiently.

9. Cannes76

Cannes76 Active Member

Level:
    Server:
    IGN:
    Cannes77 97
    I know how to effeciently mine copper. I brought home more than 100 copper ore from each run, when I did it. I'm 100% certain that it isn't worth it. Only way you would be desperate for copper or other rare materials is if you are extremely impatient and either way, you will be falling behind in overall progress.

10. Rondel

Rondel Well-Known Member

Server:
    IGN:
    Rondel
    Corax was pretty on with the weapons. If you have a decently modded SBA you don't need the katana, you can get away with a lower tier weapon.

My current load out is an SBA with Diablo, a baseball bat and a glock. First off, you don't fight things up there, you just sneak around and get the copper when you find it.
    The only reason to fight is:
    wolves - might as well get some leather and meat while you are up there.
    Numb Z's - sometimes they are blocking a copper mine, you need to kill them without getting hit, thus sneak with the
    SBA and switch to a diff weapon to finish it.
    NPC - sometimes you just need to kill off that NPC.

A note on the NPC's. There is a bug/feature about NPC's fighting Z's up in Siberia. The Z will never target the NPC once it has been attacked, it will only target you. Thus the NPC will agro Z's that will attack you. If you see a damaged Z running at you, the NPC probably attacked it and now you have to run away from the Z. Killing the NPC will stop them from aggro'ing the Z's. But don't waste your time killing an NPC if you are mostly done with that map. Move on instead of wasting the bullets.

Healing - you can actually heal yourself fully on just berries you find up there. I generally bring a stack of food but I rarely use it as I pick up berries and eat them for healing.

As to is it worth it. Well that depends on if you want to build a large metal room or not. Up to you. I'm working on a full metal outer wall...when I still play.

11. Cannes76

Cannes76 Active Member

Level:
    Server:
    IGN:
    Cannes77 97
    Which can be done faster and more effeciently using other means.

12. Corax

Corax Active Member

I am sorry but you cannot make that claim as a generalization, that's a judgement call depending on your personal objectives and prioritization of said objectives. Might be true for you that frozen zones are a waste of time that doesn't make it true for everyone however.

You can try to make the claim that obtaining copper by mining frozen zones is a waste of time, which believe it or not is a completely different topic there are other items besides copper that can only (or more easily) be obtained in frozen zones.

I will be more than happy to listen to any logical argument but so far I am unconvinced and I took the time to explain why. For me the recycler is of more use trying to obtain carbon from firearms as I need to complete pending weapon upgrades that will make my life much easier once completed. If and when I meet my weapon upgrade objectives then I can re-evaluate different recycler priorities.

13. Rondel

Rondel Well-Known Member

Server:
    IGN:
    Rondel
    Corax gave the nice long response to you, I'll just say that the recycler can't keep up with my demands. I have recycled everything that gives copper and watches etc don't drop fast enough to keep me going. So no it's not faster for me to farm up watches, etc just to recycle for the copper. I can get them while I am up getting copper ore and get a double pay off when I'm back. Perhaps for you they do, good for you, but do not assume that everyone is at your point in the game and has the same goals/stash as you. I have two boxes for recyclable stuff, I've worked hard to keep them empty.

As another aside I have a full metal room and have done everything in the game. The only thing that is worth keeping me interested is building a full metal outer wall, I mean turning one of my double layered stone walls into a metal wall.

14. Wandlewall

Wandlewall Well-Known Member

Level:
    Server:
    IGN:
    Wandlewall
    The fastest way to acquire steel is a combination of raiding, recycling and mining copper up north. So in a way, you are all correct!

Xena likes this.
  15. Cannes76

Cannes76 Active Member

Level:
    Server:
    IGN:
    Cannes77 97
    I don't waste valueable recycler time on watches. I obtain batteries from bunker alfa and frequent raids, other than that I recycle phones, wrenches, heat sensors and guns. Everything else a waste. It will not output anything useful for the time spent.

16. Corax

Corax Active Member

battery RNG drop rate was nurfed significantly about 2 months ago so batteries only for copper is a suboptimal strategy, watches and cameras are an excellent substitute. Wheels are also an excellent source of steel as long as you set an hourly alarm to keep the recycler going continuously.

17. Cannes76

Cannes76 Active Member

Level:
    Server:
    IGN:
    Cannes77 97
    Cameras are ok to recycle for the lenses, but watches? No way. They suck. An entire stack will yield one copper on average.
    Also wheels are not very effecient time wise. Will take many many hours to get a single steel bar. Not worth the valueable time.

Spectre likes this.
  18. Corax

Corax Active Member

watches suck compared to batteries for copper absolutely! but watches in general don't suck not by a long shot. They give you bolts which personally come in handy for metal pipe fabrication and watches also give scrap metal which is amazing for turning into iron bars at a VERY efficient energy expenditure.

1 stack = 12 bars thats a hell of alot better than having to go out mining iron ore to later convert one stack of it to only 10 bars + armour durability you lose, plus weapon durability, food, etc and in general thats time you can spend farming Alpha instead of farming for iron ore...

19. Spectre

Spectre Member

Level:
    Server:
    IGN:
    Spectre
    I bring one melee.. 6 picax.... Go back and forth yellow red zone.. As was said stay on the outskirts.. Never even have to use my weapon unless a wolf Flys up all the sudden.. Anything else I run.. Lol.. And always bring some extra food and water ... Can be like 2 days of grinding away from home ... If you run as much as I do.. Lol.. I even see a red blip coming.. I'm out . Keeps happening then I go to the other zone.. If you got a chopper not a bad idea to store your copper ore on it . That way you get hit.. You still have what you worked real hard for..

20. Spectre

Spectre Member

Level:
    Server:
    IGN:
    Spectre
    And has been said . If you don't have much gas can still take chopper.. Just get on it.. Then hit the walk button.. Run off the screen at the zone you get to.. It'll follow you home.. Oh.. And bring a couple cheep picax to . May as well grab bauxite while your there . I get to loaded down with the extra iron ore I just trash it . The bauxite and copper is why you are there in the 1st place..