1. We're looking for active, experienced players to help contribute and grow this site.

If your interested send NeoCHI a conversation.
    Dismiss Notice
  2. Chat has been implemented. Scroll down to join the fun!
    Dismiss Notice

Gaming addiction?

Discussion in 'The Lounge' started by Z Killer, Sep 2, 2018.

1. Z Killer

Z Killer Well-Known Member

Level:
    Server:
    Yes, pin and the best comment disappeared... it was about a book called Hooked, how to make habit forming products. You'll find it in google.

2. Ishtvaan

Ishtvaan Moderator Staff Member

Server:
    IGN:
    Ishtvaan / Ishtvaan#6840
    Why? Threads that had their last post 7 months ago are considered necroposts and don't qualify for stickyness :D

And only because i don't post doesn't mean I'm not watching you people :cool:

Scarecrow and Z Killer like this.
  3. Arkade

Arkade Well-Known Member

Level:
    Server:
    IGN:
    TripleZ
    Wait, what? You were here? and, you inspired me to make a meme of that (Please don't take offense, if you do I will delete it for you):

Me: *Typing out this meme*
    *Looks out window* Wait, what was tha-
    *Neck gets snapped from behind*
    Ishtvaan: *Walks out from behind* As I said, I'M ALWAYS WATCHING YOU!

Z Killer likes this.
  4. Z Killer

Level:
    Server:
    I played for 24 hours again. No alcohol, from 10 am to next day 10 am, unable to stop.

Last year the WHO recognized gaming addiction as a disorder.

5. Z Killer

Level:
    Server:
    "
    The other findings of this research show that the levels of cortisol and α-amylase increase significantly in the players of Fear type game. Since this game is a horror game it can be destructive in the long run because the players are constantly feeling fear and stress, the adrenal gland and the hypothalamus-pituitary axis are always ready to function, and cortisol is released abnormally. These endless activities impair human’s cognitive functions such as concentration, attention, decision-making, and memory in the long run. This type of stress is known as the fear stress (Burdo, 2014). The increase in the unnatural secretion of cortisol impairs the glutamate system, destroys the nervous synapses, and results in the impairment of memory, learning, and emergence of anger, violence, or depression. The increase in the concentration of extracellular glutamate and the excessive activity of the ionotropic receptors cause toxicity, which damages the nerve cells and the hippocampus synapses (Krawczyk, 2002; Smeets et al., 2008; Yu, 2016).

The results of studies on the violent Excitement game showed that the levels of cortisol and α-amylase of the players increased significantly after playing this game. This game is formed of a set of elements that are not superior to one another, and thus the resulting stress cannot be attributed to a certain feature of the game. This is because stress is caused by violent and frightening visual and sonic elements as well as timely decisions and logic of the player. In other words, this game induces interactive stress (Ballard & Wiest, 1996). Since the NMethyl-D-Aspartate (NMDA) receptors play a major role in transmitting the stimulating messages, plasticity, and neural destruction of the central nervous system, the excessive activity of these receptors leads to the generation of large amounts of neurotoxic substances that demolish the nerve cells and synapses. The physiological effects of the damage are demonstrated in the form of unwanted angry and violent behavior and depression and a decrease in the cognitive readiness of the individual (Ballard & Wiest, 1996; Fox, 2011)."

source:

https://www.ncbi.nlm.nih.gov/pmc/articles/PMC6037427/#idm140270380385232title