1. We're looking for active, experienced players to help contribute and grow this site.

If your interested send NeoCHI a conversation.
    Dismiss Notice
  2. Chat has been implemented. Scroll down to join the fun!
    Dismiss Notice

How to detect scams

Discussion in 'Guides' started by stufoonoob, Jul 9, 2018.

1. stufoonoob

stufoonoob Active Member

Level:
    Server:
    IGN:
    Vilhjalmr
    A few days ago, a new forum user posted in these forums claiming he had "devised" a way to make trade possible within the game. He wanted to trade a big amount of his items in exchange for a chopper gas tank and fork he supposedly needed for his chopper.

Of course, this immediately looks suspicious, so my first reflex was to confront him. Scammers will not usually tell in public what they will require their victims to do, they will do it via private messages, because it is easier to lure their target without interferences given by other forumers. So I changed my tactic, I pretended I had what he needed (wich I didnt) and asked him to pm me in order to expose him publicly afterwards, in other words I attempted to scam the scammer.

I did not have the time to read his pm because I suppose he was banned by the moderators and I simply forgot about the event. However I did receive an email with the content of the message he sent me, that I noticed today and it prompted me to create this thread.

Moderators here know very well their game and knows when something is not legit and react accordingly. However, everyone has their IRL and the mods cant always be there. So in the case a scammer would come fishing, the best is to be well informed and on guards.

Here is the message I received from the scammer and it is a very good example because he asked EXACTLY what I expected, my game files. I will explain later why.

This is a very obvious scam speech, it can be described in 4 parts:

1.Incentive; where the scammer propose a very interesting reward for dealing with him. In this case, coins, engine parts, coupons, ressources, etc.

2.Denial of culpability; basically, the scammer will try to convince you he is legit. Here it is a very poor attempt, he simply says "Im not trying to scam you because, I have nothing to gain from it." If you see this, it can be translated to "I will scam you". That kind of talk may take other forms.

3.Exclusivity of service offered; there, the scammer will make it clear for you that he is the only one able to give you what he is offering and that he will find someone else if you do not take up on his offer quickly, putting pressure on you to make a mistake.

4. TRUST. This is unavoidable, to best manipulate you, a scammer will try to convince you it is safe to trust him... be careful, this is a trap. Most of the time, scammers will need the full participation of their victims in order to succeed in their scam.

Now, why ask for your game files? Basically, to steal your account. For that, a scammer will indeed need your full cooperation. To get the game files is not enough because then, there would be a conflict between multiple devices on the same account, so he needs to destroy your game as well. To do that he may send you back a broken file or even a file including a trojan. Then he would use your user ID from the data file you sent him and retrieve your account from the server itself, and during that time, you struggle with a broken file and possibly a virus on your device. Account stolen.

In my example, there is many possibility to explain why this guy would want to steal an account. Obviously, he was fishing for a player who already had his chopper complete, hence the spare tank and fork. By that, he gets the insurance that he will have a pretty decent base and tons of ressources with a chopper in bonus. He may have been a hacker who got banned or broke his game from too much mods to his own game files. Or that might even be anticipation as he knows he will eventually need a legit account and doesnt want to put the effort into it.

What strikes out the most about his case is that he was gonna "input" my selection into my file. Well if he could do that, he could have simply input the gas tank and fork to his own game, but that would no longer be a legit account, wich is what he wanted.

So guys to conclude, remember to be careful with fishy people, watch for the signs but most of all, NEVER send your files to random strangers.

2. Player9999

Player9999 Member

Level:
    Server:
    IGN:
    Playe9999
    Well written. Mod could stick it on top of the forum pernamently.

3. Survivalist

Survivalist Moderator Staff Member

Level:
    Server:
    IGN:
    Survivalist
    Yeah I banned him. Wish I would’ve seen it sooner before it even got that long. I saw his post and assumed he was modding and trying to sell account stuff but this is another way too. Either way, you’re right, was pretty obvious.

Guys. Do not even question or respond to these guys. There is no trading feature and no way to get what you want that easily. They are fairly quick to ban modded accounts too. If not today, you’ll eventually wakeup and be locked out. Not worth it.

CapnKlay likes this.