1. We're looking for active, experienced players to help contribute and grow this site.

If your interested send NeoCHI a conversation.
    Dismiss Notice
  2. Chat has been implemented. Scroll down to join the fun!
    Dismiss Notice

How to dodge Toxic Spitters?

Discussion in 'General' started by Patbou, Nov 19, 2019.

1. Patbou

Patbou Member

Level:
    Server:
    IGN:
    Patbou
    What the title says. I can avoid giants AOE, as between the visual warning and the effect, I have time to react. But it seems Toxic Spitters don’t give a fair warning. You see the cone, bam, you’re covered in their vomit. I have to grind oak for Fort Moss, but will never get enough if I have to leave to take a shower after just a pass in red and yellow.

How do you fight them? Guns?

2. Xena

Xena Well-Known Member

Level:
    Server:
    IGN:
    Xena
    Some might be able to tell you how to avoid it, I use shotgun modded to 80 damage. They don’t have a chance to spit.

3. Bouba

Bouba Active Member

Same here, gun them before they even get close and i always keep moving, finger always on the shooting button, release moving button to stop and shoot then move again in the next second.
    They seem unable to "lock" you as you keep moving, you have to be still so they can spit.

SSpesh90 likes this.
  4. Patbou

Patbou Member

Level:
    Server:
    IGN:
    Patbou
    Not entirely sure, but I think the trick is to move away from them, then stop and charge past them. They’ll spit where you were, while you attack them from behind. Then, circle around before attacking again. Repeat, enjoy.

Found that trick the hard way, after much frustration and showers.

Rondel and ucan like this.
  5. Bouba

Bouba Active Member

They won't always spit when you stop, if you are in range they'll hit first.
    You need to be out of their reach so they spit before they try to hit you.

6. Monte7108

Monte7108 Well-Known Member

Server:
    IGN:
    Warren
    I run away from them when they’re charging then turn and melee attack. Three-four hits they’re dead. I rarely get spit on.

7. M.Brave

M.Brave Active Member

IGN:
    M.Brave
    I just charge straight at them and try to murder them before they decide to spit haha. Probably not the best strategy, but seems to work most of the time. XD

8. Xena

Xena Well-Known Member

Level:
    Server:
    IGN:
    Xena
    Rarely getting spit on is still bad if you’re on an extended expedition farming oak, you need to stay as long as possible to make it worth while and there’s a ton of spitters up there.

9. M.Brave

M.Brave Active Member

IGN:
    M.Brave
    Can confirm. Rarely getting spit on in my case means being smelly after 10-12 iron hatchets. So I gave up trying to bring materials for more than that. I'd love to know a reliable way of meleeing them without getting stinked!

10. Monte7108

Monte7108 Well-Known Member

Server:
    IGN:
    Warren
    Agreed Xena. And the strategy works up there. When I say rarely I mean 1 a week maybe??

Arkade likes this.
  11. Corax

Corax Well-Known Member

I wrote a detailed guide on exactly how to deal with spitters with melee weapons without ever getting splashed. its in a thread Grace started a while back under location and zombies just search the forum.

In short you need a melee weapon that can deal 27 dps or more and 1.3 speed or more. My preferred weapon is the pipe but I have hatchet mod that gives me the required dps as stock the pipe doesn't meet the requirements. machete works fine as well.

If you have a weapon that fits the specs you can 3 shot toxic spitters and they should not be able to hit you. for detailed info search for the guide i mentioned

12. Corax

Corax Well-Known Member

Iggypob and JamesKemp like this.
  13. JamesKemp

JamesKemp Active Member

Level:
    Server:
    Server 1
    If by dodge toxic spitters you the mean completely;

Don't go into red zone in singleplayer. Or yellow zone sector 7 multiplayer. :D

Going off topic slightly.

If by dodge you mean not have to fight them;
    This thread interested me to add a sector 7 useful piece of knowledge. In yellow zones. You can dodge them.
    Wait for or trigger them to spit by dmg then run out of radar. Useful when you are solo and low hp and accidentally bumped into one. Or two....or six! Lol

Also good fun.

14. Patbou

Patbou Member

Level:
    Server:
    IGN:
    Patbou
    I've given up trying to dodge them. I badly need to farm oak, and I can't do so 40-60 logs per trip to oak valley. I'll gun the bastards down, period. All I need to know now is, which gun should I use? Only mods I have on guns are :
    Glock : Red Dot Sight + Extended Magazine
    M16 : Drum Magazine + Sight x2

I still need some Factory Parts to complete a mod on AK (Extended Magazine, IIRC).

So I can't one shot them with a shotgun (and even then, I think I'll want to save shotguns for The Blind One).

What do you suggest? Maybe 3 shots of Glock, plus one melee hit for 20?

15. Corax

Corax Well-Known Member

guys they are not hard to melee read the guide I wrote once you understand the pattern its quite easy to kill them without getting splashed. The only thing you should be shooting in a red zone is diseased wolves and vss guy although i prefer to hack that bastard to death with a cleaver its much more gratifying

JamesKemp and Monte7108 like this.
  16. Rondel

Rondel Well-Known Member

Server:
    IGN:
    Rondel
    A few good points on how to do it, but since I'm in my mood to repeat the obvious...

First pull them to a clear area where you want to fight it, thus run away until you find a good spot to fight. Then run directly at him, you will eventually learn if he will start by spitting or go to melee. If he spits, run past him. If he goes melee, hit once, circle, hit again, circle. It's relatively easy the more you do it. It's not 100%, I do get hit every once in a while but I rarely get smelly.

Also shower before you go to the resource zone. If you are getting smelly from one or two spits, you were already half way to stinkville.

I agree the only thing you should shoot in resource zones is an AI, Unless you are Xena, he's allowed to shoot anything since he has guns up the... The DWolves you can melee as long as you have healing. Since I almost never use my carrot stew in the red zone I now melee the DWolves and heal through it.

Lastly...the only thing you lose when you get all stink is the ability to sneak attack. If you are farming Oak and your armor is good and weapons are good and you move to stinkland. Keep farming, who cares if you stink, just move slower so you don't get swarmed.

JamesKemp and Bouba like this.
  17. Corax

Corax Well-Known Member

you really do not want to melee diseased wolves unless of course you can sneak attack them and kill them in one blow. they are amongst 3 type of Zs that I know chew through your armour durability at double or greater the normal rate. There could be more of them but the ones I am sure of are diseased wolves, TBO and blind one

18. Patbou

Patbou Member

Level:
    Server:
    IGN:
    Patbou
    Add The Ravager's spit attack to that list (but this one is SOOOO easy to avoid with wall trick ; actually boring to kill it with hockey sticks and other left overs, but it's the best way to use them).

19. Corax

Corax Well-Known Member

you can cleaver the ravager to death its easier than the spitters and its good practice for the spitters as his pattern is even simpler to make out.

sneak get close within your second second circle on your scope and he will start coming at you

walk him over to where you have enough room go fight without risk to aggro other Zs and take one swing on him then run in tight circles around him till he starts to spits

when he does spit get behind him take 3 swings with cleaver 2 swings with slower weapons and start running in tight circles around him and wait till he spits; lather, rinse repeat

Where people get confused with ravager is when he starts the puke animation as the first time he pukes, but every other time he restarts the animation a second time then pukes. So what you see is the first red cone of his spray but as you are running around him he turns to follow and recreates the red cone again then spits. Like I said he does this every other time so its always 1 cone followed by 2 cones back to 1 cone then 2 cones etc

20. Patbou

Patbou Member

Level:
    Server:
    IGN:
    Patbou
    Ravager is best defeated with wall trick. Just kite him to the gate (walk slowly, or he'll run), by following the fence to the left. Wait until he's close, then move behind the wall. He won't be able to touch you (even if his cone tells you otherwise). Then : pop + hit + hide every time he spits (he'll do so until he's dead, without trying another sort of attack). I'm pretty sure this technique is less stressful than running around him, trying to time his cone perfectly.