1. We're looking for active, experienced players to help contribute and grow this site.

If your interested send NeoCHI a conversation.
    Dismiss Notice
  2. Chat has been implemented. Scroll down to join the fun!
    Dismiss Notice

Most effecient melee weapon?

Discussion in 'Crafting & Items' started by HumilityDM, Mar 27, 2018.

1. HumilityDM

HumilityDM Member

Level:
    Server:
    Server 1
    IGN:
    HumilityDM
    What is the most cost efficient yet still decently effective melee weapon to use? I think its nail board but I may be wrong. This game is stunningly lacking in coherent guides.

Protatoez and Phillip Havercroft like this.
  2. CptFlirp

CptFlirp New Member

Level:
    Server:
    IGN:
    CptFlirp
    I like the machete for bunker runs, it’s got solid damage. But for a green or yellow zone try the crowbar. It’s dirt cheap to craft and does just as well as anything else if you use it right.

3. iBey

iBey Active Member

Level:
    Server:
    IGN:
    [VSS]_iBey
    if u often do sneak attack :
    spear for green, 1 sneak attack + 1 normal attack to kill roaring zombie (40hp)
    M-bat for yellow, 1 sneak attack + 1 normal attack to kill fast biter (80hp) (or crowbar if u lack/saving duct tape)
    shovel or any weapon with 30+ dmg for red, i prefer the smelly trick for red zone tho.

Protatoez and LOKI like this.
  4. Rondel

Rondel Well-Known Member

Level:
    Server:
    IGN:
    Rondel
    It all depends, and everyone's opinions differ.
    a 10 min damage will hit for 30 on a sneak attack.
    a 20 min damage will hit for 60 on a sneak attack.
    a 30 min damage will hit for 90 on a sneak attack.

Your most common targets
    Slow zombies and basic wolves have 40 health - to 1 shot sneak you need 14 min damage
    Rabid Wolves have 60 health - to one shot sneak you need 20 min damage
    Runners have 80 health - to one shot sneak you need 27 min damage
    Spitters you can't really sneak attack...
    Bloaters you can't one shot...

Then we consider what we are fighting and the cost of the weapon. As iBey showed, the spear is the cheapest and perfect for green zones. The average zombie has 40 health so one sneak, run away and attack give you a clean kill without getting hit. The M-Bat is a step up but I haven't used it in so long I can't remember the damage.

For the yellow and red zones if you want to take out the runners without getting hit you need a base 20 damage weapon. If you go with a crowbar you will take a hit, but the spiked board will allow you to not get hit.

Keeping to red zone weapons, I like the spikes board or crowbar. Spiked board is my first choice, crowbar second as it take five hits to kill things. I feel the shovel is overkill as it still take four hits/Sneak+1 to kill things just like the S-Board and you can't one shot a runner. To one shot a runner you need a machete or stop sign. IMO a Machete is too 'nice' a weapon for average farming. For Bunker runs I don't use any weapon under a Machete.

Next to cost, this really comes to your supplies: S-Boards take duct tape which is in high demand for things while the crowbar and shovel only take metal, wood and leather - Thus making them a 'cheaper' weapon. I prefer the S-board but given the rarity of duct tape vs its usage crowbar/shovel tend to win out.

My perfect weapons for farming are a baseball bat and a stop sign.

Last edited: Mar 27, 2018
    TheyLiveWeAwaken, Protatoez and iBey like this.
  5. Ishtvaan

Ishtvaan Moderator Staff Member

Level:
    Server:
    IGN:
    Ishtvaan
    ^ this. Bat kills a roaming zombie instantly with sneak, sign for fast biters.

For spitters in winter zone and bunker, you can either use a Machete (sneak + first quick attack kills him without getting damage) or a Katana. I prefer the Katana because it is a silent weapon. On level 2 in Alfa , after the turret, you have 2 spitters in front of a door, and even though they are close to each other, you can take out the right one without having the left one notice and then take out the left one. Works only if you take out the right one directly from the opposite side of the left one.

6. HumilityDM

HumilityDM Member

Level:
    Server:
    Server 1
    IGN:
    HumilityDM
    Why does the crowbar keep getting mentioned? I tried it and it breaks twice as fast as the machete, which makes sense since it only does half the damage. So overall its less efficient due to armor damage. Am I missing something? Though I realized recently the nailboard isn't cheap, I for some reason was thinking 1 steel bar = 2 nails. Though I still do often have an excess of nails. Iron and especially leather are the two materials I am constantly low on. I have like a hundred tape. It might go rarer once I start raiding but I'm trying to upgrade my entire base to level 3 first. Which will take a while as I have to farm the red zone for the oak logs.

So right now I'm leaning towards spear and machete as my manufactured loadout for the most efficient zone clearing. Because machete and crowbar seem to have the same relative cost.

Also I want to thank everyone, except anyone who has mentioned katanas, baseball bats or any other stupid thing like that as those are not applicable to a question regarding weapon cost efficiency.

7. iBey

iBey Active Member

Level:
    Server:
    IGN:
    [VSS]_iBey
    i agree about crowbar. it might have fast aspd, but it lack of dmg. i also never craft it.
    well, this game is actually about farming what u lack of and spending what u stocked more.

Protatoez likes this.
  8. Rondel

Rondel Well-Known Member

Level:
    Server:
    IGN:
    Rondel
    Crowbar is mentioned as an option because it's cheap. Now cheap is a relative statement, before I got my chopper I was overflowing with duct tape. Once you get your chopper, duct tape is needed for the pick axes and axes you need to farm copper and oak, on top of that raiding requires the axes. So once the chopper comes along you will find duct tape goes out the door pretty quickly.

As to a Machete, yes it's the most efficient weapon you can use, 30 damage means 3 hit for fast biter and can one shot it as well. The reason I don't like it is the cost.

Crowbar - 7 iron 3 leather
    Machete - 15 iron 3 planks 12 leather

I can make 2 crowbars for far less than it costs me to make 1 machete. The concept of farming IMO is to get the maximum gain in resources for a minimal investment. I can tell you I rarely come back with 12 hides per run thus investing 12 leather in a weapon that will not make it back from the trip nor pay for itself is not a good investment IMO. 2 Crowbars on the other hand is easily recouped in a standard farming run. S-Boards before I was farming copper and raiding was the lowest resource investment per run IMO.

So what question did you really care about, what is the most efficient weapon: clearly Machete. Or what is the preferred weapon for farming. You say you are constantly low on leather and iron...well that's because you farm with a weapon that has a high cost of both of those things.

Last edited: Mar 28, 2018
  9. Phillip Havercroft

Phillip Havercroft New Member

Level:
    Server:
    IGN:
    Player5368
    I think the iron ax is a good one. It’s not so durable, but it seems to kill everyone with six strokes or less. I also use the shovel. Tray the iron ax,& see what you think.

Protatoez likes this.
  10. Jarhead

Jarhead Well-Known Member

Level:
    Server:
    IGN:
    BedHead
    Actually, the shovel only requires metal and wood -- no duct tape or leather. If you're short on leather, it's the best weapon out there.

Phillip Havercroft and Z Killer like this.
  11. Z Killer

Z Killer Moderator Staff Member

Level:
    Server:
    IGN:
    Isti
    I compared the sound of crowbar and cleaver. Crowbar has a metallic sound, cleaver is like cutting body. It also require less metal, I vote for cleaver.

Phillip Havercroft likes this.
  12. Griptwister

Griptwister New Member

Level:
    Server:
    IGN:
    Griptwister
    I really like to use spiked devastator.... fast and major pain!

Rock Okajima and Z Killer like this.
  13. Griptwister

Griptwister New Member

Level:
    Server:
    IGN:
    Griptwister
    Oh I’m hardly a new member... here for a long time

14. Z Killer

Level:
    Server:
    IGN:
    Isti
    It is a long time favorite for me. :) I use my bean cans for something useful.

I wonder that real crowbar doesn't require leather, it's made of steel. But it's just a game, lol. I'm short of leather right now.

The cleaver can cut the head of a roaming zombie in one hit.

15. Andy

Andy New Member

Level:
    Server:
    Android
    IGN:
    Andy
    Technically the answer would be Katana cause its always free...youll never use resources to get it...but if you need to craft, the shovel is a great overall...78 on silent, which only requires one more swing for fast biters...Love the nailed board thing...again 66 damage on a silent and only 1 more strike to kill most of that's out there....for the record I did beat the blind on with 14 hammers one time......obviously hammer is amazing lol

Phillip Havercroft likes this.
  16. Z Killer

Level:
    Server:
    IGN:
    Isti
    Off
    Fortunately we don't have a ranking system here, it's automated. You posted only 3x, that's why you are a "new member".

On
    I'm not a mathematician, can you someone please calculate all the maths, which is the perfect weapon. Take the clothe damage & the food in the calculation.

I split this answer in two, shovel/cleaver is cheap, but useless in alpha bunker, it does the job in green zones.

In alpha we need at least a spiked devastator. Today I used a machete, a saw blade in the alpha. It was great fun,but I don't have any melee weapons right now.

17. Rondel

Rondel Well-Known Member

Level:
    Server:
    IGN:
    Rondel
    Here’s how I look at things and this is for farming. Weapons can be classified by how many hit’s it takes to take out a fast biter/Spitter. This means Three, Four and Five. Anything over five is not worth talking about. The Three hit category also has the benefit of one shotting the FB’s with a sneak attack which is good!

Three:

Machete (30)– 15 Iron, 3 Planks, 12 Leather

Skull Crusher (45)– 12 Iron, 12 Nails, 5 Leather, 4 Duct Tape

Four

Nail Board (22)– 5 Planks, 8 Nails, 3 Duct Tape

Shovel (26)– 8 Boards, 7 Iron, 3 Nails

Spiked Devastator (26)– 10 Iron, 5 Cans, 5 Leather, 8 Nails

Five

Crowbar (17) – 7 Iron, 3 Leather

Cleaver (17) – 5 Iron, 5 Leather, 4 Boards

When breaking it up this way, you only see the benefit of higher damage before you get to the next level when you fight a Bloater. It takes four swings with a nail board and four swings with a spiked devastator to kill a spitter, thus in this comparison they are equal weapons. Then we talk about the ‘costs’ of the weapons in materials.

Boards are the ‘cheapest’ material as wood is abundant and boards are a 1:1 ratio. Nails are the next most common as 1 nail = half an iron bar, Iron being a step up. Leather and Duct tape are the uncommon items in this list of materials. These two things depend highly on your stock of each. I won’t even mention cans as all you have to do it take your daily three beans and eat them and you have cans…

So doing the categories with my logic:

Five: Crowbar is cheaper as leather is uncommon and it takes 3 vs 5 for a cleaver.

Four: Shovel doesn’t require any uncommon materials but the cost of wood/iron his relatively high - 8 wood & 8.5 iron. The nail board costs almost half the basic materials at 5 wood 4 iron but it comes with 3 uncommon materials. Spiked Devastator comes in very high at 14 iron and 5 leather.

Five: Machete being all to talk about – 15 iron 3 wood and 12 uncommon material.

Finally it really does come to your stocks of materials. Crowbar is a good option but it is all iron, S-Board is also great as it’s a balance of wood and iron but it takes Duct Tape. Shovel is good when you only have common materials. I personally won't farm with a Machete or Skull Crusher, I'll only use them for Alpha as IMO they are too costly.

Last edited: Mar 31, 2018
  18. Crunchynutter

Crunchynutter Active Member

Level:
    My red zone load out is usually:
    -1 crowbar (optional)
    -1 shovel/baseball bat/nail board
    -1 spike devastor (only when I find them from loot)
    -1 stop sign/machete
    -1 skull crusher
    -1 saw mace
    -stack of food
    -half stack of bandages

For red forest, I normally trade the crowbar for an iron hatchet.

That’s a lot of gear and inventory space, but it allows me to pretty much always have the best tool for whatever I might find.

Shovel/baseball bat/nail board is the primary weapon to kill wolves, bites and aggroed spitters. And only these should see much wear and tear from one red zone. All the other gear should be good for several red zones.

Normally I find enough weapons from crates in red zones to make this set up pretty much self sustaining in that it is pretty rare where I have to make any of this stuff from my raw materials.

The main material costs for me for red zone farming is armour and meds. Which is why I take so much gear - it allows me to minimise damage taken by being able to kill most enemies with no or minimal damage. So I almost always come back with a net gain in bandages and food.

So my view is that there isn’t one magical perfect weapon (although shovel came pretty close before they nerfed it), but rather you need to take a good selection to allow you to always have the most effective tool for the enemy you are facing.

That is the key to minimising farming costs, as you are not wasting health and armour taking on heavies with a crowbar, or wasting your high end weapons on deer.

Stop sign/machete are to one-shot spitters that I can sneak up on.

Spike devastator allows me to one-shot floaters after I have sneak attacked with the saw mace.

For TAs, sneak attack with skull crusher, then run off the board and sneak attack again with the saw mace to kill for no damage.

The spike dev/machete are also back ups in case VSS guy or other high level AI rock up.

19. RedOne

RedOne Active Member

Level:
    Server:
    IGN:
    Red
    I usually go to a red zone with two crowbars, some bandages, stack of carrotsoup or jerkys, and a full set of tier two reinforced armor.
    It usually does the job.
    I save up machetes, sawblades and skullcrushers for the bunker.
    Hammers I toss away. Hate them...
    Katana is favorite, but also saved for the bunker.

Ivo and WACO2 like this.
  20. DVLHRN

DVLHRN Member

Level:
    Server:
    IGN:
    DVLHRN
    I always sneak attack whenever possible(to save weapon durability)...I use toothpicks(spears) for green zones and hunting animals(even in yellow/red zones to save up my weapon but it involves chasing down turkeys and foxes),

for killing zombies in yellow/red zones... other than random weapons I loot from boxes and other survivors(baseball bats,stop sign, etc)I usually use shovels because duct tape and leather(I think) are essential since pine logs and iron are easy to farm/gather (you can always take home hundreds of them) and pine planks and nails are craftable(with 4 workbenches crafting it, 2 each respectively)... I always save up leather and duct tape for armors, iron hatchets and bunker weapons(skull crusher, machete, sawblade mace)...
    ...but I used M.bats, N.boards, cleaver, and crowbars before I unlocked the shovel...

Last edited: Apr 29, 2018