1. We're looking for active, experienced players to help contribute and grow this site.

If your interested send NeoCHI a conversation.
    Dismiss Notice
  2. Chat has been implemented. Scroll down to join the fun!
    Dismiss Notice

Most effecient melee weapon?

Discussion in 'Crafting & Items' started by HumilityDM, Mar 27, 2018.

1. luisoman2000

luisoman2000 Well-Known Member

Level:
    Server:
    IGN:
    Luiso
    I guess it all depends on what you're doing. For farming, modded cleaver, shovel, and pipe are good low cost weapons. Sawblade machetes and hammers are best suited for bunker/farm/PD to do massive damage

2. Xena

Xena Well-Known Member

Level:
    Server:
    IGN:
    Xena
    I use the modded cleaver for farming, but for the bunker I like the SBM for a sneak and then the modded pipe (same speed and damage as the machete but the critical chance is higher)

3. luisoman2000

Level:
    Server:
    IGN:
    Luiso
    Pipes are my go to weapon right now, don't have a big enough stash of leather for machetes. With the mods I have it does 29 damage which isn't bad. I also take a few fully modded sawblade naces for high damage. It does 190 on sneaks and 63 regular.

4. ThatGinger

ThatGinger Member

Level:
    Server:
    IGN:
    ThatGinger
    for farming red zones i go with a modified cleaver a spear a stack of carrots and i bring a gun (just for AI). I will usually leave with normal redzone loot and most of my carrots, and i rarely use half of my gun.

5. DeVastator

DeVastator Active Member

Level:
    Server:
    Server 1
    IGN:
    DeVastator
    Thats to much space you loose

6. Rondel

Rondel Well-Known Member

Server:
    IGN:
    Rondel
    It all does depend on what your doing as I outlined in one of my first responses here. Although this was done before mods were in existence and thus the whole listing needs to be updated.

For farming read zones you want a weapon that does about 20 damage (four hits to kill a normal zombie). Between 21 and 26 you don't get that much more benefit as you need a weapon at 27 damage to kill zombies in three hits/to one shot them with a sneak attack. Thus over 20 damage is good for fighting bloaters but a waste for basic zombies. The modified cleaver is your best option right now. Shovel is still good and cheap if you don't have the mods for a cleaver yet, and crowbar is always good but takes five hits to kill a zombie.

All too expensive to farm with IMO and I rarely make any of these as I pull enough from drops, dead AI and chests.
    -Machete good for the Alpha, the farm and some parts of the police dept.
    -Skull crusher is great for Alpha and the farm. But mostly as a sneak attack weapon. Sneak attack a basic Bloater in Alpha, hit one more time and it's life is down to 60, finish it off with two hits of a machete.
    -Saw Blade is a great sneak attack weapon especially for FG's. Base damage of 55 means you get 165 on a sneak attack. You can sneak attack the FG run, switch to a gun and get them down to 55 life. Finish with another hit from SBA, bam you did 220 damage to the FG with melee weapons. At 20 damage per shot on a Glock, you saved 11 rounds per FG.

I never bother bringing a spear with me, I can make it on site and throw it away before I come home so I can bring an extra stack of wood, etc. It's a tosser weapon and the mods are really only good for early game use.

I never make guns.

7. ThatGinger

ThatGinger Member

Level:
    Server:
    IGN:
    ThatGinger
    id rather not be able to take some wood home than die to AI.

8. Rondel

Rondel Well-Known Member

Server:
    IGN:
    Rondel
    What you bring isn't representative of what you take home. a spear should be dropped or shoved in a chest to bring more wood home. It's a weapon you can easily make and easily dispose of. I don't bring one as you can just make one there if you need it. I may just dump a cleaver at 2-5% durability so I can bring something better home.

9. luisoman2000

Level:
    Server:
    IGN:
    Luiso
    Efficieny is the name of the game. I can understand not wanting to ditch a half durability weapon, but as Rondel pointed out, it is better to ditch very low level weapons/worn out weapons in favor of more materials.

10. ThatGinger

ThatGinger Member

Level:
    Server:
    IGN:
    ThatGinger
    that IS it cheif

11. Luke1234

Luke1234 New Member

Level:
    Server:
    IGN:
    UnknownWarrior
    Usually I use crowbars and cleavers as they are cheaper and easy to gain.
    I craft cleavers and I try finding crowbars as I'm still lvl 20.
    For yellow zones I usually take the same weaponry even though a lot of you guys are against it. It works like a charm and I always have excess materials.

12. ChrisCobi

ChrisCobi New Member

Level:
    Server:
    IGN:
    ChrisCobi
    Depends on what your doing. I have most of the mods for all Melee Weapons and I use them all differently. I use Skull Crusher in Winter Zone, I use Machete/Katana in Bunker. I use Metal Pipe in Red Zones.

13. Rondel

Rondel Well-Known Member

Server:
    IGN:
    Rondel
    This was originally made before mods and before different area's had different 'armor' vs the weapons. Back then you could rely on a weapon doing the stated damage to everything. Now that you have mods etc the more appropriate way to look at it is 'concepts.'

As I wrote before it comes down to how many hits to kill something vs the resources to make those weapons.

A Z with 80 life can be quantified into three, four and five hits. Anything that takes three hits means a one shot when sneak attacking. Sneak attacking with a decent speed four hit weapon will mean you can kill them with no damage to yourself, also a good benefit as you save your armor durability.

The crowbar, gold club etc all fall into the five hits. This is mostly the least efficient weapons you can use but they are all in the lowest cost for your weapons.

Four hit weapons are the most interesting category. IMO you want to get the cheapest weapon that does 20 damage. Generally this is a modded cleaver, there are a few different combos that get you there but anything that does 20 damage will do the job. Between 21 and 26 damage you don't see any benefit from the extra damage unless you are fighting a bloater. Thus don't sacrifice durability to get from 20-23 damage.

The three hit weapons start at 27 damage, thus a base pipe at 26 damage is a waste IMO as you are still needing the fourth hit to kill a standard Z. Add the spiked handle and you get a weapon that can one shot Z's!

If you are heading to the PD or garage that have the new Zombies with different life/damage resistance, your on your own.

Now that we have many options to get to these levels you can pull whatever you like. The goal is always to use the cheapest weapon to get the job done so your farming runs can be very profitable.

14. JankyLot

JankyLot Well-Known Member

Level:
    Server:
    IGN:
    JankyLot
    If you’re worried about cost, use shovels

Rondel likes this.
  15. ChrisCobi

ChrisCobi New Member

Level:
    Server:
    IGN:
    ChrisCobi
    Actually shovels are really bad, because you can't modify them. They only do 26 damage, which doesn't 3 hit KO a Toxic Spitter, 3x26=78. So that extra time it takes you to kill a toxic spitter allows it to spit on you. Even for the resources and if you have a True Friend dog, it will still take more than 2 hits unless you have a dog that does 14 damage. But it's hard to get a dog that does that amount of damage. And even if you did, when you sneak attack a zombie that has 80 HP, it still only does 78, which allows for your dog to get the killing blow and steal your exp. So shovels aren't good at all. Probably material per material the worst melee weapon in the game.

16. Player9999

Player9999 Active Member

Level:
    Server:
    IGN:
    Playe9999
    Modded cleaver (tactical butcher knife/hunter handle) one of the best invested carbon parts ever.
    22dmg/1.7speed it chop me trough alfa in no time and super cheaply.
    I have full mods for machete etc but mine preferred is cleaver. I don't even assemble other weapons anymore.
    Do u want all round tool to teach some manners to zombies?
    Do u want feel safety on your walk in red forest?
    Worried about gas station visit?
    Farm sound scary?
    Take your homie, take your cleaver.

Wandlewall likes this.
  17. JankyLot

Level:
    Server:
    IGN:
    JankyLot
    Try a minigun on auto, might cut trees and break stone too, always wear safety glasses

Lord Pickles likes this.
  18. JankyLot

Level:
    Server:
    IGN:
    JankyLot
    And yet, if you’re short on leather...shovels,
    Though a +1 sharp edge mod would make it a million times better

Rondel likes this.
  19. Rondel

Rondel Well-Known Member

Server:
    IGN:
    Rondel
    Shovels are slow and only do 26 damage, but they are still a decent go to for when you are low on leather. You can even use them as Bloater killers when you are low on leather, bring one modded cleaver and one shovel. Switch to the shovel when you see the bloater so you save the durability on the weapon that does take leather. It's not a first choice but first choice weapons aren't that commonly used, I use what I have on hand and what I can afford to make.

Adding a mod to them would be great, but they would probably end up making them more expensive of a weapon then. It's a cheap 'weapon' that sits at the top of the four hit range. One more point of damage and it would be a great weapon for the price...I'm too cynical to expect they would give us that.

20. Ivo

Ivo Active Member

Level:
    Server:
    IGN:
    Ivo
    The thing is, I don't want to be efficient anymore... I just use machetes because they look nice and feel good. And some raids give slot of leather or iron and I then just take that...

Wandlewall and Xena like this.