1. We're looking for active, experienced players to help contribute and grow this site.

If your interested send NeoCHI a conversation.
    Dismiss Notice
  2. Chat has been implemented. Scroll down to join the fun!
    Dismiss Notice

Question about Chopper

Discussion in 'General' started by Bazabaza, Feb 9, 2019 at 3:55 PM.

1. Bazabaza

Bazabaza New Member

Level:
    Server:
    Hello everyone. I've played LDOE a year ago and I just recently came back to it. I'm a casual player and dont have huge amounts of stuff. I barely managed to get enough gasoline to finish the generator (with the help of survival guide) but now I dont have any left to fuel the chopper (which I also just got with the help of survival guide). I have a question (I remember reading about it somewhere but cant find it again for the life of me): is there really a way to turn off the chopper? Like, so it doesnt consume gasoline? At first I didnt have any gasoline in it, and I was able to push it around the base ("for free" I guess). As soon as I put my last can of gasoline in it, I would instead jump on the chopper and start the engine, which seems to consume gasoline even if I dont move! So by the time I reached the edge of the map, I was already out of fuel :( so is there a way to turn off the engine and just push the chopper to the edge instead of driving it (while having fuel in the tank of course - I know it's possible if you dont have fuel)?

Also, there's a button on the left (below the directional buttons), it replaces the "active skill" button when you get on the chopper, it looks like a speedometer of some sort, but I cant figure out what it does... no matter how much I tap it, nothing seems to happen.... what am I missing?

Thanks!

2. Rondel

Rondel Well-Known Member

Level:
    Server:
    IGN:
    Rondel
    First off don't worry about the chopper until you can fill the tank a bit. You need enough gas to get the chopper from the garage to the edge of the map. I put my garage on the very edge of the map so I could minimize the gas consumption every time I move my chopper out.

Once you are out on the map with your chopper, walk or run everywhere, don't drive. If you walk or run you don't use up gas. When you get to the map you are going to, say a regular farming area, make sure you are not on the chopper and go everywhere on foot. Walking your chopper everywhere just gives you the extra 4+ storage spaces to bring stuff home. While it is nice and at this point I bring it everywhere, it's not that great if you don't have the gas to get it out of the garage.

Run Alpha a few times and save all the gas it gives you. Once you can get the gas tank to half, start bringing it on farming runs with you. If you only use it for the extra storage and don't drive everywhere you will save up a lot of gas. Once you have a pile, then you can start wasting it.

3. Bazabaza

Bazabaza New Member

Level:
    Server:
    Thank you for your reply. Its all good advice and I was already aware of most of the things mentioned. I am, in fact, trying to just get some use out of the chopper - it was too much of a pain to build to have it just sit in the garage - even if it is just for the extra storage. I have no desire to drive around on it as that consumes waaaaay too much fuel. I just want to take it with me for the extra storage, because bringing back 4 additional stacks of stuff is a lot (for me at least). I kinda regret building the garage too, because if I'm not mistaken, without it the chopper gets parked right on the edge of the map.

I am trying to do Alfa but I find it hard, annoying, tedious and a big consumption on my resources. My device gives me a little bit of lag, not too terrible, but enough to make wall trick impossible for me. They seem to have increased Frenzied Giant's range while I was away because now its almost impossible to not get hit while sneak attacking them. Yeah I know its still doable, but that's really hard for me too because of the lag. So, dealing with Giants uses up way too many of my guns, and also armor and healing when I get hit. The leaving and re-entering areas is also annoying because any loading screen lasts very long on my device. I guess its too old to run LDOE properly but I cant go out and buy a new one just for LDOE (maybe sometime in the future though, lol).

So this is why I dont like doing Alfa too much, it takes a lot of RL time while staring at loading screens, and costs a lot of guns and other stuff in game. To be honest, I havent gotten that much fuel from it either, to call it "worth the trouble".... I will definitely still do it occasionally, but I find it unlikely to get enough fuel from it to be able to use the chopper for farming.
    Anyway, I guess I can assume from your reply that there is no way to actually turn of the engine and just push the chopper along?
    What about the lower left button, what does it do?

4. Wandlewall

Wandlewall Well-Known Member

Level:
    Server:
    IGN:
    Wandlewall
    Also run the gas station as often as possible. This will allow you to build and upgrade the ‘off road’ chopper to carry an additional 4 slots (8 in total). There is also some fuel there.

5. Bazabaza

Bazabaza New Member

Level:
    Server:
    Thanks for your reply. I just started working on the gas station yesterday. Cleared it maybe half way before becoming smelly and having to retreat (which reminds me.... there's no way to shower outside your base and bunker Alfa, right?). Today I'm working on the farm for my daily Survival Guide quest.... The Ravager has been a pain with my lag issues....
    But yes, 8 slots would be nice, but with a lack of fuel I'm not gonna be able to make much use of them anyway. Well maybe I'll have more fuel by the time I unlock it....
    Anyway, does anybody know what the lower left button does?
    And am I right in assuming you cant turn off the engine?

6. Rondel

Rondel Well-Known Member

Level:
    Server:
    IGN:
    Rondel
    No you can't turn off the engine, just position the garage as close to the edge of the map as possible so you can drive straight out of the map.

For the gas station I generally only do half the map, the area up to where you turn in the parts. I find the rest not worth the investment.

7. Bazabaza

Bazabaza New Member

Level:
    Server:
    Thanks. I did move the garage but it still sucks. Also the main part of my base is on the other end of the map so its a long walk to the chopper now. But whatever, its not like I've got the fuel for it anyway :/
    For now I just cleared half of the gas station. Havent found any fuel though. Will see if I have any time left after completing the new quests.
    I did manage to finish the Farm though. And wouldnt you believe it, I found a Chopper Gas Tank in the blue box..... it dropped as soon as I didnt need one anymore :/

Any info on what this button does yet?
    button.png

8. Ishtvaan

Ishtvaan Moderator Staff Member

Level:
    Server:
    IGN:
    Ishtvaan / Ishtvaan#5981
    Like with real car assistance computers this is a "maximum speed" button where you normally can set your maximum speed your car may go; meaning that in LDOE this button switches your velocity between about 50% and 100% which helps to avoid hitting every single tree while driving

9. Bazabaza

Bazabaza New Member

Level:
    Server:
    Oh, I see, thank you!

And just in case anyone's interested, I did finish the Gas Station, and I got 1 Gasoline canister and 2 Bottles with gasoline... feeling pretty happy about that, although its what, enough for like 2 trips from the garage to the end of the screen? :D

10. RedOne

RedOne Active Member

Level:
    Server:
    IGN:
    Red
    You will get more fuel once you get used to doing bunker alfa. There are usually about 6 jerrycans in the green, yellow and red trunks

11. Bazabaza

Bazabaza New Member

Level:
    Server:
    Maybe. I'm sure there's more fuel to be found in the boxes, but as I mentioned, the problem I have with the bunker is that I lag too much for the wall trick, the FGs now almost always hit me when I sneak them, and the loading screens take way too long. Two of these things can probably be improved with a new device, which isnt gonna happen very soon. So its not as much of a "getting used to it" issue (I did clear the bunker several times before taking a pause from the game, I'm not completely new to it), as it is a lag/FG range change issue. The Gas Station seems much safer for me (undoubtedly due to a lack of FGs) and it takes less time to clear too, so as long as it keeps giving me some fuel, I dont think the bunker will be seeing that much of me, at least not for some time....