1. We're looking for active, experienced players to help contribute and grow this site.

If your interested send NeoCHI a conversation.
    Dismiss Notice
  2. Chat has been implemented. Scroll down to join the fun!
    Dismiss Notice

Should Kefir rethink in app purchases pricing?

Discussion in 'The Lounge' started by Vis, May 2, 2018.

Redo in app purchases pricing?

1. Yes

2. No

3. Stop Moaning :)

Results are only viewable after voting.
  1. Survivalist

Survivalist Moderator Staff Member

Level:
    Server:
    IGN:
    Survivalist
    Almost all games go into beta and a lot go into alpha which is even before beta, so it’s very common. Of course this is pc game and mobile game speaking. Of course Xbox and other platform games come out when fully released.

What do you mean by your first statement ? You’re basically saying what if those whales essentially paid for all of us 99%? I don’t think I need to explain how that wouldn’t work lol. No one would pay for something knowing we get what they’re paying for, for free. There’s no logic in that even if I were rich lol. Only way someone with that much money would “sponsor” for a game would be if they got something In return. Simply paying for us to play and get everything free gives them no return on that.

And say they did pay for it, we could just play the game and have unlimited supplies? That doesn’t make for a fun game either lol it would get boring and make for a very small life span.

And plus, in the end, we all can play for free if we want. It is a free mobile game after all. The only enticing factor is speeding the game along for that fee that they charge.

2. Lakson Vell

Lakson Vell Active Member

Server:
    Well your idea basically is reality for a huge chunk of micro-transaction games, this one included. Without going into too much detail, making a "personal deal" with whales is both unprofitable and could be legally challenged as discrimination. There are, however, games that have a VIP system where you get levels based on your purchases (I know of a very successful one that has a VIP level that starts at a 15$ purchase and the maximum is after spending 20.000$)
    As for the beta release, it's simply a thing of profit. Why wait for a year to finish the game when you can publish it now and start making money off microtransactions right away? This game is actually polished compared to some big games that were released as full games and needed 1st day patches just to make it playable because the company needs to make the money right away.

3. Z Killer

Z Killer Moderator Staff Member

Level:
    Server:
    IGN:
    Isti
    After 2 days of thinking, I have not much conclusion.

Reminds me of book like "Brave new world".

This means that we are slaves of mobile game industry?

4. Wandlewall

Wandlewall Well-Known Member

Level:
    Server:
    IGN:
    Wandlewall
    To sum up this thread it’s totally outrageous that a mobile game developer should consider making a profit out of a product. I mean how dare they earn a living! We are here to be entertained, for free. I don’t expect to pay for the experience - but I expect an instant reply to my support emails, I expect a bug free experience and I expect instant access to all the best items.

I expect the world of mobile gaming to revolve around my online life, because I have no other......

5. Vis

Vis New Member

Level:
    Server:
    IGN:
    Vis

WOW all the info is right in you're face an you still choose to ignore it and come up with some insane opinion you think people have, NO ONES SAID IT SHOULD BE FREE!

6. Wandlewall

Level:
    Server:
    IGN:
    Wandlewall
    It is free.

Cast ‘em out and reel ‘em in....

WACO2 likes this.
  7. Lakson Vell

Server:
    Sure is good to be a dev and player support, to be able to eat bricks and sawdust, not sleep at all and always be able to give out free stuff the moment anything goes slightly wrong

Wandlewall likes this.
  8. Wandlewall

Level:
    Server:
    IGN:
    Wandlewall
    Ha!Ha! Exactly Lakson!

I’m not meaning to be deliberately negative here but I do get fed up when these sort of threads start to descend into complaints of money grabbing Devs and expectations that shop purchases should be tailored to an individuals financial situation. And yes Vis, there is at least one comment above suggesting ‘IT SHOULD BE FREE’.

There’s a whole generation of gamers coming through who have only ever known ‘free gaming’ with ‘in app purchases’ being covered by credit cards linked to a parent or guardians account. It shouldn’t set the paywall template for all games and it certainly shouldn’t for this one.

This thread started well. Good subject. Very random price points in the store and no obvious logic between some of them, but again as this is Beta I guess the Devs are feeling their way through that area too.

I’d like to think the majority of LDOE Survivors appreciate a good game when they see it and wouldn’t hesitate to pay a subscription or a download fee for it, as long as the cost is in line with the competition.

As for the ‘millenials’.....there’s an old saying. There Ain’t No Such Thing As A Free Lunch!!!!

Flame away kids!

Lakson Vell likes this.
  9. Kanomar

Kanomar Member

Level:
    Server:
    IGN:
    Kanomar
    I am bit two minded on the purchases. I dont generally dislike them, i bought myself some dogs, the gas tank, the stone room, if there are reasonable prices, but some of the prices are just too whacky, 100+ bucks isnt a microtransaction for 95% of the playerbase i guess.

Beside the gas tank i have only spent money on fixed packs, the lottery on the other packs is just not convincing me to try my luck (on the gas tank i was lucky ~ 20 spins ~ 16 bucks)

If i spent money on a game i want to know for sure what i get, and dont wanna pay for a lottery where in the worst case i get crap that is farmed in 15 minutes, or where i have multiple stacks of in my trunks.

Lately it was the xp books for the zones, 5 bucks to spin the wheel 1 time? 40 bucks for 10 times? Come on, it doesn even fill a complete xp bar, it fills x % of your current level i heard on one of starsnipes vids.

The question is what will be next? 1000 bucks for a 3x3 titanium enforced room, after they introduced the metalcutter for steelwalls? Or 100 bucks for the ATV transmission?

I dont mind if i aint able to get anything, but if the gap between f2p and p2p or minor p2p to big p2p gets to big, the game will die quickly, especially when the multiplayer finds its way to the game.
    Atm nothing to worry about because we are playing a single player game.

10. Vis

Vis New Member

Level:
    Server:
    IGN:
    Vis
    £35 for a In-game puppy? £100 for a steel 3x3? Plus many other ridiculous prices for items,
    Please explain how that is not a money grab?

Also i didn't see someone said it should be free sorry, I don't think it should be free but the prices are just simply crazy.
    Its pretty obvious, Full release games only just cost that.

Most beta games have reduced prices due to it being an unfinished product.
    Then when its a polished product they up the price, Which seems more fair.

Can anyone confirm the prices in usd? Prices i stated are gbp

P.S i love the game an play it everyday! Just think the prices are insane.
    I do believe the Devs have done an amazing job with the game but that doesn't displace the fact its very high prices

Last edited: May 9, 2018
  11. Lakson Vell

Server:
    @Vis curiously, the USD prices are the same as GBP (so I guess you are paying 30% more expensive)
    While I agree there are a few overpriced and very overpriced items, the store as a whole is in a good place. You dont see many games that offer you a gamechanging item like the military backpack +a bonus machete for 2 dollars.
    The metal room is meant for the whales, simple as that.

12. Vis

Vis New Member

Level:
    Server:
    IGN:
    Vis
    Oh that is very odd, This might be why i see it as crazy prices?!
    Maybe they don't need to rethink them but they 100% do need to use the currency exchange rate to make it fair.

13. Lakson Vell

Server:
  14. WACO2

WACO2 Member

Level:
    Server:
    iOS - iPad
    IGN:
    WACO
    I’m hoping they will offer more things for sale. Maybe a completed chopper! Right now I have 36 dogs in the pen of various ranks. Maybe if I keep breeding them one day the TF trait will pop up. Even if not, it’s really fun to have a kennel full of dogs! The little critters are cool! ✌️✌️✌️

15. hobbes

hobbes Active Member

Level:
    36 dogs? wow! how long does one turkey last you? 30 min?

WACO2 likes this.
  16. WACO2

WACO2 Member

Level:
    Server:
    iOS - iPad
    IGN:
    WACO
    I think about 15 minutes. Really, all I do is hunt turkeys and deer every evening. Once I get the dogs all bred together hopefully it won’t take so much food. ✌️✌️✌️

17. WACO2

WACO2 Member

Level:
    Server:
    iOS - iPad
    IGN:
    WACO
    Hopefully in another month or so I’ll have the number down through breeding. ✌️✌️✌️

18. Silth

Silth Member

Level:
    Server:
    IGN:
    Silth
    Well, I think some of the pricetags are way to high, some others are fairly reasonable to me. Coming from a EA mobile game where you had to dish out hundreds or even thousands of dollars/euros for a single character to be able to keep up with others („Star Wars Galaxy of Heroes" anyone?) this game is quite a relief for me. For instance I paid 109 euros for the steel room, when it became available. Because I despised the grind and now can raid and raid and raid knowing my stuff is still safe. I bought coins too, since when you get a special offer, the price is in my eyes okay. But paying for weapons, dogs and stuff? Naaa-ha-ha! If I want to play the lottery I play the real lottery.
    To be honest, to me it all boils down to wether you are young and got time but less money – or you're old, got (some) money, but less time. I am the latter. And if a game supports both playmodes it's good. And LDoe is not too far off.

Wandlewall and TheyLiveWeAwaken like this.
  19. WACO2

WACO2 Member

Level:
    Server:
    iOS - iPad
    IGN:
    WACO
    I really enjoy buying a pack every now and then. It helps Kefir some plus gives me something to look forward to when having a bad day at work. Maybe it’s just me, but I don’t mind spending a little.

Lakson Vell likes this.
  20. Survivalist

Survivalist Moderator Staff Member

Level:
    Server:
    IGN:
    Survivalist
    This is how I am. It does get addicting lol but if I keep it under control, and keep it in my budget, buying a pack every now and again is pretty exciting.

WACO2 and Lakson Vell like this.