1. We're looking for active, experienced players to help contribute and grow this site.

If your interested send NeoCHI a conversation.
    Dismiss Notice
  2. Chat has been implemented. Scroll down to join the fun!
    Dismiss Notice

Steel

Discussion in 'General' started by Xena, Oct 2, 2018.

1. Xena

Xena Well-Known Member

Level:
    Server:
    IGN:
    Xena
    My question is to those of you who have built steel walls. To make a single room takes 100 steel plates, how do you guys get that much steel? I recycle everything I can to get steel and copper and have like 40 or 50 , 25 of which will be going to the acid bath.

2. luisoman2000

luisoman2000 Active Member

Level:
    Server:
    IGN:
    Luiso
    I got most of mine (when I had a steel room, but i digress) from raids. I got lucky on a few raids and got a ton of batteries which i recycled to copper.

Carrot Farmer likes this.
  3. Rondel

Rondel Well-Known Member

Server:
    IGN:
    Rondel
    By the time you get to be an experienced player, you are running Siberia for copper ore.

I used to pull back about 100+ ore a run up to Siberia for copper. Spend a few days smelting all that into copper bars --> Steel and then build some walls. This was all before the recycle made it much easier to get copper. Now I'll run up there once in a while to get some more copper ore and to just do something different. The standard wood runs can be boring, but I need supplies so I can smelt everything...

By the way the steel walls I've earned was over at least six months of runs.

Last edited: Oct 2, 2018
  4. ZombieTom

ZombieTom Active Member

Level:
    Server:
    IGN:
    Tambry#9863
    working on a 5x5 steel room. my main source is still the northern copper zone. Raids dont really provide much copper/steel for me. and I dont have many batteries to recycle

5. Ishtvaan

Ishtvaan Moderator Staff Member

Level:
    Server:
    IGN:
    Ishtvaan / Ishtvaan#5981
    I get all my copper only from raids, bunker Alpha level 4 and infected crates. Can't remember when I was up in the snow for the last time...

Carrot Farmer likes this.
  6. ZombieTom

ZombieTom Active Member

Level:
    Server:
    IGN:
    Tambry#9863
    in my about 10 raids so far I just got 2 steel and 2 copper...totally disappointing

7. TheyLiveWeAwaken

TheyLiveWeAwaken Active Member

Level:
    Server:
    IGN:
    FLATEARTH
    Recycling batteries and a long time ago, from raids. Recycling a stack of batties should net you around 8 or so copper maybe more. The key is copper, then refining it into steel.

Ishtvaan likes this.
  8. Ishtvaan

Ishtvaan Moderator Staff Member

Level:
    Server:
    IGN:
    Ishtvaan / Ishtvaan#5981
    This. Forgot about it.

9. Xena

Xena Well-Known Member

Level:
    Server:
    IGN:
    Xena
    Thanks guys, since I’m recycling everything I can and don’t raid much at this point ( I want a steel room before I really raid much) . I’m on my way up north as I speak/type to try my hand at copper mining

10. luisoman2000

Level:
    Server:
    IGN:
    Luiso
    hope you took some guns, frozem zombies are a pain.

11. Rondel

Rondel Well-Known Member

Server:
    IGN:
    Rondel
    Don't fight the frozen zombies....

I bring a gun at 25% to kill the other survivors I see.

12. Shadowrunner

Shadowrunner Active Member

Level:
    Server:
    IGN:
    Shadowrunner
    It just takes a long time, I'm just one wall away from my 3x4 room, then I'll start on my adjacent 3x4 room. But I don't think you need to focus on getting steel, just play normal and you receive copper as you go

13. Xena

Xena Well-Known Member

Level:
    Server:
    IGN:
    Xena
    I went up there to mainly farm oak since I was out and needed it for today’s quest, but took 2 picks with me and got 15 copper and a stack of tape and never fought anything. Got attacked a couple times and just ran out. Just snuck around and got tape and copper.

14. Xena

Xena Well-Known Member

Level:
    Server:
    IGN:
    Xena
    Just MO but the way I normally play is to focus on what I need and go get it. I’m stocked up on regular material and need oak and steel to finish upgrading my base, plus the red copper zone is great for tape too, which I need a lot of.

15. luisoman2000

Level:
    Server:
    IGN:
    Luiso
    AI up there in the north is a pain, they're well armed and agro a lot of zombies. I've only been twice I. The north, focusing on oak right now to get my walls up. Maybe after a few raids I'll get me some copper,got a decent stash of aluminum too.

16. Xena

Xena Well-Known Member

Level:
    Server:
    IGN:
    Xena
    JCF has a good video on farming copper you should check it out luisoman doomeris too. Really easy just sneak around get the stuff and run to the other zone and keep repeating. I took a gun and machete and never used either of them just used like 4 or 5 carrots. Next time I’m taking a bunch of axes

JankyLot likes this.
  17. Jarhead

Jarhead Well-Known Member

Level:
    Server:
    IGN:
    BedHead
    I completed my 12x8 steel base a month or so ago. Almost all of it came from recycling/raids/floppy disk crates - hadn't farmed the northern zones since February.

Refined smelter ran pretty much constantly, and still does. I've saved up an additional 200 steel since then.

18. Spock

Spock New Member

:eek: that's a lot!

19. Ryan L

Ryan L Active Member

Level:
    Server:
    IGN:
    Ryrydaflyguy
    I honestly think steel walls aren’t worth it for an entire base.

I have played for a long time and I have no problem collecting or smelting steel at this point. My approach was 4-5 layers of stone walls. All my chests in the center of my base. All my guns/floppies/steel/copper/etc in a 1x4 half steel room. The steel walls being towards the outside of my base with 4 layers of stone walls between steel and outer perimeter.

Some day the metal cutter may come into play and we don’t know what it will bring, it may makeless noise than c4 or maybe more, who knows.

Stone walls were easier for me and honestly when I’m raided by AI they only blow up one wall, the same wall everytime, after they clean out my bait boxes. I feel pretty safe with my current setup cuz even against players if they blow up 4 walls I think they’ll be maxed for noise before they get to anything.

Eventually I might do the inner wall around my chests in steel but it’s crazy expensive even with recycler. Currently I’m upgrading all my chests with my steel work

To each their own though, that’s my opinion.

20. Crunchynutter

Crunchynutter Active Member

Level:
    I am saving my steel for multiplayer, as that is where the bulk of dev resources seem to be devoted. It seems unlike they will radically change the core single player elements, as that seems to work fairly well for everyone now.

My fav source of steel is recycling broken tac armour, because it only takes 10m, and you get steel direct instead of copper, as I am forever short on coal.

I get a ton of broken swat armour from police department, so this is better than leaving them in the reset lockers.

Only annoying thing is recycler bottlenet.

If only they would allow you more than one of those.